R.M.S. Adriatic was launched on 20th September 1906 as the last of the White Star Line's 'Big Four' liners. Although larger than her sisters Celtic, Cedric, and Baltic, Adriatic was the only ship of the class not to enjoy the accolade of being the world's largest ship. That title was taken from her by the Cunard Line's R.M.S. Mauretania, launched on the very same day. Adriatic was nevertheless a match for the fierce transatlantic competition owing to her high standards of comfort. With numerous improvements upon her sisters, including the world's first gymnasium and turkish baths at sea, her well appointed accommodation put her a cut about the market.
The Adriatic spent most of her career on the Liverpool - New York route. In 1928, she was converted a 'Cabin Liner'; her former designation of First, Second, and Third Class being replaced by Cabin Class, Tourist-Thrd Cabin, and Third Class. In addition to her regular Liverpool - New York sailings, Adriatic was placed on numerous popular cruises in the Mediterranean. Her cruising days would be the eclipse of her respectable career. The merger of Cunard and White Star in 1934 sealed her fate as an ageing vessel of the Edwardian era. She was finally sold for scrap in Osaka, Japan, leaving Liverpool for the last time on 9th December 1934.
Cabin Class 1928
Adriatic's First Class accommodations were converted to Cabin Class in 1928. Once the finest facilities offered on the Liverpool-New York route, these could now be enjoyed by a new class of passengers for a more modest fair in comparison to First Class travel.
The introduction of Cabin Class also saw Second Class reclassified as Tourist-Third Cabin. More than a match for her competition when she entered service in 1907, Tourist-Third passengers could be assured of a excellent standard of travel in the formerly Second Class apartments.